Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Pulling Through

Sometimes I really wonder about my boys. Are they really getting what I am teaching them? Will they apply it to their lives? Will they make the right choices, even when I am not around? About every family prayer, scripture study, and FHE is a battle to get them to listen, participate, and be respectful. It is a battle to get them to sit up, sit still, and listen for one minute! But I did have an experience this last summer that was interesting and gave me hope. I taught the Primary class with 8 and 9 year old boys and girls. All four kids (2 boys and 2 girls) were from strong families, but there was an obvious difference in the behavior of the girls and the boys, especially in preparing for the Primary program in October. The boys acted "cool", being nonchalant about learning the primary songs and their individual parts to the program. They did the least they could, just to get by. They acted like they didn't care. The Primary leaders and I tried to get those boys to sit up straight, don't slouch, and sing the songs! When it was time to perform in the Primary program, I payed particular attention to the boys in my class, as well as my own boys in their classes. And to my surprise, they pulled through! They actually did great! They stood up straight, sang the songs, and gave their parts in the program like they had been practising all along. So I will try to remember, when it really comes down to it, my boys will pull through! They may resist family prayer, scripture study, or FHE now, but in those moments when they need to make the right choice, I know our efforts to teach our boys will strengthen them to pull through and make the right choice! This gives me hope and motivation to keep trying as their mother.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great observation! I think too that they absorb more than we think they do. I remembered recently a story by President Hinckley about when he was a rascal and misbehaved when he was a young boy. There definitely is hope!

Anonymous said...

Audra--I know just how you feel. My kids seem to go crazy whenever it's time for scriptures, prayer, fhe. I was thinking it's a boy thing too. Thanks for sharing your primary class experiences! It gives me hope too. And I love the picture of your boys!

Anonymous said...

Audra you are doing great. I have always admired you, a mother of 3 boys! If it makes you feel any better, Hannah has the same trouble. The primary signed a christmas song (that I have never even heard) at the ward christmas party and she did not know one sign, and very few of the words... I can relate to your frustration/worry... but they'll all come around in time I'm sure!

Shana said...

I often wonder the exact same things. But yes, when you see them perform the Christmas program and you watch them sing almost every word to the songs... You know you are getting through to them! :)
We are teaching Brayden the articles of faith and sometimes it takes a good hour to get one down. But you know... Their little minds are way too busy thinking about everything else they would rather be doing! I think they are actually smarter than we really know! ;) You are doing a Great job!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I am not the only one who struggles with FHE etc. Sometimes David is revernt, but most times he's not. And Timothy I think is old enough to pay attention for at least a little bit, but I can't even get him to sit down for FHE. He is starting to say prayers though, so like you said, there is hope. We just keep trying.

Abbi said...

Your boys do pull through! I love that picture, too!! They are growing up fast to be good little men. I didn't tell you that yesterday Jordan was standing next to me going through his bag of treats from Marla, and after unwrapping one of the yummy minty kisses said, "Oh, Abbi, this one is SO good--here, try it." And I didn't even ask him to share! :)

Anonymous said...

I echo your setiments more than you know - espeically when so many things are pulling me in other (good, but never the less other) directions - I wonder if I am dedicating enought time where it is needed - luckily we are not doing it alone - the Lord is helping us for our efforts, I know that. Onward, ever onward, right ladies?
Beautiful photo, Audra!

Anonymous said...

Love the photo of your boys! You and Mike are such wonderful people and such wonderful parents, I know the Lord will magnify all that you do for your boys! What a great observation... they pull through, they step up to the plate when it counts. I think we all do that sometimes too!