Monday, April 30, 2007

Not Enough?


On Saturday it is Kyle and Jordan's 6th birthday. Why is it that right before every birthday and holiday, I start getting anxious that what I have done for my kids is not enough - not enough presents, not enough food, not enough party activities, not enough celebration? It happens every time - birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, St. Patrick's Day, Valentines Day, etc. And usually they are completely happy for what they received. So why do I worry I am not spoiling my kids enough?! I should worry about going overboard, but that strong urge to give your kids everything they coud possibly want is hard to fight.

12 comments:

John said...

Don't know what to tell you because as you know I can't relate right now. However, I wanted to tell you that you are doing a great job posting and to keep up the good work! I enjoy the blogs!

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean. I always feel like there aren't enough presents or enough celebrations, but the kids are always happy with everything! I don't know the answer. I feel like I spoil too much, but I don't know if I should change or just go with it!

Natalie said...

good luck, girl. we just finished chelsea's celebrations and have to now start focusing on jayden's - I'm totally exhausted! We are scheduled to be driving across the nation on his birthday, so we have to celebrate early for Jayden. I go through the same emotions - good luck!

Lori said...

You put my thoughts into words! I feel the same way every holiday also. I think it is just part of being a parent and wanting to make sure your kids have the best and that their happy!

Audra said...

Thanks, Johnny. I can call you Johnny can't I?

Natalie, good luck to you too about the on the road b-day for Jayden!

Tara and Lori, I am so glad I am not the only one who feels like this!

tara said...

Last Christmas we had a really limited budget and I 'numbered' their gifts (they didn't know, but I was trying to be fair- they each got the same amt.) Really, they were just excited for what they got, and wanted to stop and play with the first few things they opened! Santa left balloons everywhere and they almost had more fun with those than with the presents! (And Hannah got her "barbie puter" that she'd been asking for for MONTHS!) It was just a testimony to me that it doesn't take much! Have a fun birthday celebration!

John said...

You can call me Johnny if I can call you Audge from time to time.

Also . . .

Spoil them with love and instruction and they will be far better off than an extra present, ballon, or party.

Crystal said...

When I was little, I now realize my parents had very little. I was amazed thinking back now because we never felt poor. Friends to this day still comment on birthday parties my mom threw. I decided her being there and being excited about my birthday and Christmas was enough. I feel the enough pressure too. It is everywhere. I just keep with the idea that me being there and being excited about my children is a gift that keeps giving.

Jessi said...

My theory (as you know) is to spoil them with wonderful memories and experiences. My kids could really care less about the "stuff" they get, but they LOVE the time we spend together, especially if it includes a looked-forward-to activity or adventure.

Shana said...

Oh, I feel this way EVERY single bday or celebration. I think it is just how we moms feel! But I am sure you do the best parties and celebrations! Your kids will love whatever you do! :) Good Luck and let me know what you end up doing. I need some help on planning Braydens. Not quite sure what we are going to do this year! Plus, I will be in Florida from June 01st- 06th and his bday is on the 07th. So I will need to plan before I leave!

Mindy said...

Girl, you put me to shame. Bradley has yet to have a real birthday party. 1st - low key, just Ste and I. 2nd - Our friend and his girlfriend came over. 3rd - we had a bbq at our house and invited some friends that happened to have kids. 4th - camping with a million people. 5th - looking for a place to live. We ended up bowling while we were looking for a house.

Michelle Pyne said...

I am a grandma now and I still feel that way. Maybe its because you love them so much its hard to know where to stop because the love just keeps flowing and flowing!