Monday, June 15, 2009

let me vent

So many times in big get togethers, I come away feeling extremely lame. I just came home from one tonight and I cried on the way home. I just feel so stupid. I'm terrible at small talk so I end up not talking to anyone. Why do I have to be so dang quiet?

There, I did it. I shared my feelings about one of my most sensitive issues. I've dealt with these feelings since elementary school.

14 comments:

Shana said...

Oh Audra, I am not sure why you do that. But you are great with people! EVERYONE!!! Sometimes it is hard to come out of your shell. I used to be so outgoing, but the past 5 years or so, it is hard for me to go up to anyone like I used to and talk. I love ya girl. TONS and I LOVE TALKING TO YOU!! And I think that anyone would LOVE to talk to you!! :) So don't be shy... LOVE YA!

Lillian D'Ann Miskin said...

And that is why we love blogging!! Getting it all out without having to actually start a conversation with, heaven forbid, another human! I'm with you girl.

flynnfamily said...

I completely know how you feel, except I am the opposite. I get nervous and talk too much and feel ridiculous. I was just at a baby shower the other night and it was all friends from church, but I still can feel like the outsider and completely uncomfortable. Hang in there! You are a wonderful person with so many great qualities and talents, beautiful, wonderful family, shall I keep going?

Kelsey said...

I am so sorry that you had a bad night and feel that sad. I absolutely HATE big social settings too and they give me so much anxiety. You are such a beautiful person inside and out, the people that didn't talk to you are the ones who missed out on you!

Michelle Pyne said...

I don't think our family has the "feels comfortable in crowds" gene or the "easily makes small talk with people we don't know" gene. Sorry about that. But don't worry, you can learn how to do it. It just takes practice.

Ashley said...

You are not alone! I often come home from parties feeling like a dork and thinking why couldn't I think of anything say, etc.

Unknown said...

I would have never guessed you struggled with small talk...whenever I have been around you I thought you were easy to talk to. Don't be so hard on yourself you are so very talented and you have so many qualities I admire:)

Jessi said...

I know exactly how you feel.

And I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I've seen you in lots of social occasions and have been impressed with how well you relate to people. Some situations are just more difficult than others.

John said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. I make your life difficult as it is without you adding on.

Do you get nervous or anxious about social get togethers or just sometimes feel like a dork?

It is encouraging to us dorks knowning the cool people like yourself feel they have off nights as well!

Natalie said...

oh audra - i was so sad to read this - and a day late to boot! i always thought you were so gorgeous and capable and intelligent when we lived there in houston. i was actually intimidated by you, girl! then i found out how much we have in common and it was sad that you left so soon (in comparison to us who stayed long than most, it seemed.) and we didn't get more time together. thank heavens for blogs so i can still peek into your life. i always loved being around you - remember that time you drove to book club at elizabeth's house? that conversation on the way home still sticks with me. you are an amazing person and i'm so glad to know you!

Audra said...

Hey, no kidding John, you are one of the best at making me feel dumb. But you just said you think I'm cool, so I'll have to remember that next time I'm crying at the computer.


Oh, just kidding. Don't worry about it. You don't make me cry at the computer.

I go to my room for that.

Oh and to answer your question, I don't get anxious or nervous. I just am the most boring person there. But talking about this sounds so pathetic. I'm done now.

Elaine said...

I am fine doing without much social interaction as are many of my siblings. It's in the genes like your Mom said. It's OK so don't feel bad. But, if it does bother you, You can reprogram some behaviors, it's just not easy. I have always thought you are extemely capable and interestingly natural in social situations.

Melissa said...

Audra, I too have struggled with shyness and being quiet. I know exactly how you feel. But you don't need to worry-- there is a lot to be said about thinking before speaking. :)

Jonesy Rae Photography said...

Audra, I ALWAYS have the same problem! So next time, lets go together and then we can just hang out and not care if we do or don't talk. :)