Tuesday, August 11, 2009

to answer your question

My friend Kelsey asked me in the last post, "are you excited or sad?" about Tanner starting kindergarten. I have definitely thought a lot about this, Kelsey. I know many moms feel a little sad about their babies growing up. Even though I understand that and I can appreciate that, I am not one of those moms. My babies growing up - I welcome it and I celebrate it! But I've never been one to fear or dislike change. To see them growing, learning, and progressing in life is thrilling. And what a privilege and blessing it is to be a witness of each new adventure they face - first steps, first words, first days of school, first driver's license, first girlfriend, and on and on (I hope and pray!).

I've also learned from the many moms and dads who've gove before me who say, "Enjoy it because it goes so fast!" I take that to heart and I try my darndest to take it all in, experience it to the fullest, and enjoy each age, stage, and phase they go through. That means even the hard or frustrating things like the incredible amounts of laundry, the wet towels all over the place in summer time, all the noise, all the dirt, and all the totally annoying potty words like "fart nugget." Yes, my boys say "fart nugget" (despite my best efforts to get them to stop) and they think it is hilarious. I say, "So this is what it's like to raise four boys." Live it, experience it, LOVE IT.

We never know how many days we will be granted in this life. From my most favorite book, These is My Words, a woman who lost two of her babies, says, "I used to complain to myself that life was so boring, that there was too much laundry to do, too many noses to wipe. Now there are not enough noses to wipe." I think about that often. I will face, and even be happy about, the inevitable fact that my children will grow up if I'm granted many, many years with them. And of course, the more years I'm granted with them, the happier I am!


I'm sure that you don't disagree with anything that I've said here. I just may be different than many moms because though I adore my babies and love them to pieces, I'm so grateful, and happy that they grow up.

9 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oh Audra, you have made me teary-eyed reading your post. What a wonderful way to look at your kids growing up. You have now changed the way I think of my own kids. The quote from that book is totally true. I do need to appreciate the not so fun times because that's better than not having them. Thanks for the post!

Jessi said...

What an awesome perspective. And so very well written.

Natalie said...

you are a wise woman, my dear friend. boy do i wish we lived closer. thank heavens for your blog - it's a bright spot in my life.

Natalie said...

oh and PS - i'm secretly hoping that one day chelsea will marry one of your C* boys. just thought i would share that.

brooke romney said...

That's one of my most favorite books too! and, I love your post. I feel the same way too, but about my 3 boys.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I don't know you but I found your post interesting - the growing up part. I think ALL moms think it's thrilling to see their child growing, learning, and progressing in life! I think moms that say they want their children to stay young for just a little longer, or don't want them to grow up, is just their way of saying that they want to enjoy this stage in life just a little longer because it's going by too fast and we only get to experience it once. Not because they fear change or don't find it a privilege and a blessing to witness their children experiencing life. Of course we love to see our children growing and we don't literally want them to stay little forever - it's a figure of speech expressing that we're really enjoying this time while our kids are young. It's super exciting seeing a child move on into a new grade each year or excel in a sport they love, yet you look back and reminisce sometimes and miss when they were just little babies that you could snuggle in your arms at one point and you suddenly wonder where the time went.

I appreciate your perspective, I just wanted to share from another mom's perspective.

Shana said...

Oh man, what an amazing post!! And I agree with it 100%. My only problem is that I want it to be just a little bit slower! :) embrace it Audra, I know I will a little bit more because it is exciting and fun! Thank you for writing this, it was beautiful! Love you!

Jonesy Rae Photography said...

LOVE this! I am the same way. I don't cry as they grow.. I'm just too excited for THEM. However, you said it much better than I ever could have. I just want to copy and past your words onto my post!

Kjirsten said...

I love your attitude, when I grow up, I want to be just like you!