Friday, February 22, 2008

quilts from Grandma

My mom decided long ago that she would make a quilt for each grandchild. When I was pregnant with Kyle and Jordan, I remember her asking me what kind of quilt I would like for them. I really had no idea and I didn't give her any direction. So she asked me, "Would you want a mix of plaids, or a quilt with light pastels?" At the time, I pictured my boys to be manly, tough little babies so I told her a mix of plaids. When my tiny twins were born, I had to laugh at the thought of having tough boys. They were so itty bitty! But as they have grown, I know I made the right choice to go with the plaids. Look at these absolutley beautiful quilts my mom made for them. They are so similar, but identifiably different, if you know what to look for. Perfect for Kyle and Jordan!

When I first received the quilts, I really liked them. But my love for these quilts have grown and grown and I see them as a labor of love - a masterpiece from my extremely talented mother! And since I have had them, I have wanted to decorate a room around them. My mom's quilts are the inspiration behind Kyle and Jordan's room that I finally got to complete in our home!
*sidenote - my mom also made the valences for me, from fabrics she just happened to have at home! Look how perfect they are with the pillow shams I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond years ago.



So when Tanner was born, I wasn't so clueless as to what I wanted for his quilt. I knew I was in for a treat - another masterpiece from my mom! This time, I gave her very specific instructions on what I wanted. Tanner is our only Texas born baby. He had to have a Texas quilt to show that Texas pride. I told my mom that I wanted pictures that represent Texas. She wasn't comfortable with that idea. She had never done that before. She tried to get out of it, but I wasn't going to let that happen! I said, "Mom, you can do it. I know you can." I clearly remember the day I received this quilt in the mail. I was blown away at how beautiful it was! It was so much better than I even imagined and had given her instruction for! I adore this quilt.


And it will go on the wall of this room and will be the focal point that I will decorate around. I think it will be so fabulous!


Since I love Tanner's quilt so much, I am a little too overprotective of it. It is safe on the top shelf of his closet until I put it on the wall. So as you have noticed, Tanner has adopted Kyle and Jordan's quilts as his own. Every now and then Kyle and Jordan remind him that those quilts are theirs and he responds, "Not anymore."

Then when I was waiting for my fourth baby boy to arrive, I made plans for a blue nursery. I made the crib skirt and bumper pads and then sent the extra fabric to my mom to make something for baby Josh. I described the room to her and she came up with this gorgeous quilt. It is the crowing piece of my baby boy's nursery. I am in a happy place when I am in this room!


One of the very best parts of these quilts is that they are personally addressed to each child, with their name on it, with a message of love, and signed by my mom, or Grandma P*. The writing is slightly faded, but I prefer faded hand written over a typed message.





These quilts are close to my heart and will forever be cherished. Thank you, mom. These are treasures indeed.

15 comments:

Leslie said...

wow, i'm speechless! those are so amazing and i've got a little tear in my eye. how lucky to have such special, individual things. ;)

Melissa said...

Wow. I don't know what else to say! WOW!

rachel said...

OH


MY


GOSH!

You have one talented mother. Treasure those forever.
Love your sons' room. Great job with the decor. I love it.

Michelle Pyne said...

Thank you thank you thank you!

Michelle Pyne said...

This makes me soooooo happy!

Emma said...

Those quilts are fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! I have started quilting a little bit. And each time I make one. I say I am done doing this it is SO much work and it costs way more than just buying one. But like you've mentioned in your post. They mean so much more since they were hand made. Your mom makes such beautiful quilts. Maybe if I keep it up someday I can make them like that.

Michelle said...

Those are just the coolest! Your mom does beautiful work and the best part is they are made with love! Your boys will treasure those! I love the personal touch she puts on the back. What a great idea!

Jessi said...

We have the most talented Mom. I want to do a post about our quilts now. They deserve to be on display!

Abbi said...

What a beautiful post! We have the best mom!!!

Elaine said...

Such treasures!! I cherish my Mom's quilts she has made for me. Lola and I got married just 5 months apart and she made our wedding dresses plus 2 quilts each. Everytime I think about that it blow me away.

Jenni said...

What more can I say - WOW!

Shana said...

GORGEOUS!!! What talent!! Honestly just amazing. I especially loved the little notes. You are awesome Aunt Michelle!

Natalie said...

such precious tallent - so lovely (or handsome) they are!

Anonymous said...

What a mom you have! I'm crying...