Sunday, September 14, 2008

calling all you bread makers


help me!

I really want to be able to make a good loaf of bread. I'm not a spectacular cook. I realize and accept that. But I want some good bread, darn it! Because come on, homemade bread is not suppose to sit on the counter untouched by even your food loving four year old. What's up with that? Why is my bread so lame? So I am on a quest. I want to be able to make "oh my gosh, I can't stop eating this" kind of bread. If I accomplish it, then Mike will fall madly in love with me all over again and it will be so fun. Homemade bread is his favorite. I have already talked with a few people. I hear bread flour is better than all-purpose flour for making bread. Wow, who knew? But makes sense. So what else am I missing? Please, please send me any tips, recipes, or warnings about making bread and if I ever receive any praise for my homemade goodness, I will be sure to mention your name. And really, I'd be deeply appreciative of your advice because I'm too lazy to go and research it myself. :)

Thank you.

Oh and email me if you like. michaelaudra@comcast.net.

6 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I heard that if you crush up a vitamin c tablet and put it the mixture that it will make the break more soft and airy. This advise comes from a friend of mine who makes bread. You can see her post on my site under Kelly and look for her post on bread.

Kjirsten said...

I'm right there with you! Joe even bought me a beautiful bread mixer to encourage me, and I will say, that machine has helped. I have better success with rolls. I will send you a great roll recipe (that even I can't mess up) to your email.

Kami Hall said...

I have a recipe for cinnamon raisin swirl bread that's really good. You need a bread maker for the first part of it though. I'll send you the recipe just in case.

Jessi said...

I should give you the phone number of the lady in our ward who did the "bucket to bread" enrichment I told you abot. Really, she is awesome and could tell you all you need to know.

And just for the record, you ARE a good cook. Even a GREAT cook. And I know food, so don't even try to deny it.

Emma said...

I'm not sure if I have any helpful suggestions, but my bread rolls etc got much better after I moved to the Northwest! The only trick I can think of that humidity affects how well it rises and moist it is. On a humid day I have to add more flour to make it the right consistency (Elastic, not too sticky). But that's something I'd have to show you rather than tell you. So come and visit me;)

Jamie said...

I've heard this is a good recipe http://beautopotamus.blogspot.com/2008/05/bread-recipe.html. I made it mostly correct, but couldn't find some things the day I was making it. I bought the new ingredients but haven't made it yet. My version didn't turn out bad, but not the rave reviews I've read.