Monday, September 15, 2008

hugs



HUG O' WAR

I will not play at tug o'war.
I'd rather play at hug o'war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.
-Shel Silverstein


I was over at Jessi's house today. sidenote: Chloe is still delicious, and still perfect, and Jessi looks awesome. While I was there, our best of friends, Connie, came over. That was the first time that she had seen Jessi since Chloe was born (Connie's cold kept her back a few days). She came into the house and made a point, before anything else, to give Jessi a hug. And it hit me. I hadn't ever given Jessi a hug! And I'm her sister! I visited her just hours after Chloe's birth and I didn't even think to give her a hug. I am not opposed to hugs. I like hugs. I just don't think to give them. Sorry Jess. HUGS to you! But I know I don't need to explain to you because you are my sister and you know me. And aren't you the same? We give hugs when our family comes to visit and when they leave to fly home. We gave hugs to Abbi and Adam when they got married. When else does our family give hugs to each other? We just aren't a huggy family. That may sound sad to a huggy person in a huggy family, but that's just how we are. And it's ok. No one can deny our deep love for each other and our joy of being together as a family.

We just don't hug that often.


How about you and your family? Lots of hugs or not so much?

10 comments:

Emma said...

Great thought! My family is big on hugs, whereas Aaron's family is not. I don't think that is a reflection on how much a family loves each other rather a reflection on HOW they show love.
Aaron's family tends to do hugs when someone is visiting from out of town, and when they leave. In my family I think I got hugs from my parents just about everyday. Aaron and I make a point to hug and kiss before we part and when one of us returns. I'm sure we've missed a few.

Chris said...

You are so cute Audra!! I know she knows you love her no matter what... I think we are semi both... I am a very huggy person, but I don't know if everyone else in my family is. Glad you were able to visit Jessi and the delicious Chloe! :)

Shana said...

BTW: Sorry, that last comment was from me Audra. I think my mom was signed on before I wrote it. Sorry... :) It is from Shana!

Chris said...

Ok..this one is from the real Chris..haha...I"m a huggy person. I grew up with that and all my family does it. I love a big bear hug anytime.

Andrea said...

We are a very huggy family. I think that it has already passed to the next generation. My kids hug anytime that they can. I love hugs!! Here is a long distance hug for you and Jessi. Glad to finally get a blog so I can comment on other blogs.

Ashley said...

My family isn't a very huggy family. We are the same as you. Drew's family is more of a huggy family than mine. I try to make it a point to hug the kids lots during the day so that hopefully when they get older and don't want to be hugging their mom I might get at least one a day!

Anonymous said...

I think we got that from the same side of the family. Our family is not a huggy family. Chris' family however is. So it was an adjustment to say the least. Now I'm fine with the hugging. It's just what you do! It also helps that I only see my family once or twice a year, so hugging is inevitable.

Jessi said...

I get you, Audge. Hugs are great. Maybe we should hug more. Or, maybe we don't need to because we give our "hugs" in other ways. Either way, I don't think anyone in our family doubts the love we have for each other.

Jodie Haney said...

We hug so much, my kids are sick of it. Maybe I should be more sparing of the hugs?

Elaine said...

Interesting... I didn't know we were not a huggy family until I got in the told family. They hug more than we did. I have become more prone to hug more but it isn't something I HAVE to do to show my love. BIG HUG TO YOU, MRS.LADY, AUDRA